Monday, February 6, 2012

Crockpots and cracked eggs.

  As many of you know, I received a crockpot for Christmas, which I've learned is the perfect cooking tool for anyone (much like me) who likes dishes that are quick, easy, containing ingredients that you can pronounce and reuse, and enjoys coming home to a warm smelling apartment with various home-y scents wafting toward your nostrils.  Well, this is no Julia and Julia endeavor, but I'm doing my best to try new things! This week's little gem was adapted from here (one of my favorite recipe bloggers and an original Marshalltonian at that. Definitely worth checking out!) because let's be honest, I am one person, I know what I like, and I don't necessarily want to be eating the same meal for the next 6 days. Plus, I like to try to make recipes a little more health-conscious due to my profession (see blog post numero uno). Thus, this breakfast bake is born. This serves 4-6 (or 2 if you're me...).

Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk (I use Skim)
  • 1 (1 lb) bag frozen hashbrowns
  • 6 strips of Turkey Bacon
  • 1 1/2 cups of Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 3/4 tsp dill
  • 1/2 tbsp of pepper
  • 1/2 diced bell pepper (optional)
Directions:
  1. Line the crockpot with liner or spray with non-stick spray (less "burnage" around the edges if you choose to line).
  2. Place 1/3 of the hashbrowns in the bottom, followed by 1/3 of the bacon, cheese, and onion (and bell pepper pieces if used). Repeat twice in a layering fashion.


3.  Mix eggs, milk, pepper, and dill.  Pour over crockpot mixture.




4.  Cook on low for 8 hours.



Andddddd TA-DA! It's as easy as that (and trust me, I cannot get enough of easy recipes as a girl on the go.)!  Enjoy. Happy Monday everyone :)

1 comment:

  1. I will tell you how far out of it I am , I didn't even know they had liners for crockpots. This recipe looks great and healthful too.

    ReplyDelete