Monday, February 13, 2012

Phone lines and First World Problems.

"I'll be there in 5."
"Can you cover my Pure Strength Class today?"
"I love you!"
"Hey, I need some advice. Call me when you're free!"
"Yeah, uhhh I'll take 2 medium one-topping pizza's..."
"Hi. You've reached Mediacom. If you'd like to speak with a representative about your account..."

I always used to be the first one to chime in with, "I sometimes wish I could just turn my phone off and take a technology vacation." Welp. I'm up to bat now, but it was definitely not by choice.  Thanks, Coach. My phone officially stopped working last night, and I had to order a new one, which won't be here for another two or three days. TWO OR THREE DAYS. I mean what could happen in forty-eight hours that I would miss out on? What's that saying? You don't know what you got til it's gone? Ain't that the truth. As much as I enjoy my quiet time and time away from the phone, it truly is the key that fits the lock in the connection to the outside world. When you live by yourself and you don't have a landline, it's the life jacket that keeps you afloat in a sea of safety. When the leader of your household is overseas serving our country, it's the spaces between the fingers of clasped hands to keep your racing mind at peace. When you have a sick relative who is bed-ridden, it's the string between the tin cans of life and death. When you have a boyfriend who is eleven hours away, it's the long-distance hug and daily good night exchange. I was never truly grateful for the technology era we live in because I do think there are a lot of things that should still happen face-to-face as opposed to through a speaker, but I was also never truly grateful for the silence.  My faith-walk started back when I was 6 years old, and I know my relationship with God well enough to know that if things start to go "downhill" in my daily life, then there is something missing from my spiritual life, as well.  Obviously, I was too strong-headed to take heed to His initial warnings so, He had to take it to the next level and literally make Himself the only number I could dial.  As bare as I feel without my phone attached to my thumbs for 12 out of the 24 hours, it's kind of beautiful just to sit back, give the reins of control to the One who deserves them, and listen. I'm happy to regain my position of co-pilot, following the route of the One who has it all mapped out.  Hope you all had a smoother flight today, as my Monday was filled with a little too much turbulence for my taste. BUT I am learning, and that's important.

"My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the Destroyer for good. No one can steal them out of my hand. The Father who put them under my care is so much greater than the Destroyer and Thief.  No one could ever get them away from him. I and the Father are one heart and mind." {John 10:27-30}.

1 comment:

  1. Well put, beautifully stated, creatively crafted ,nuf said.

    ReplyDelete