Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Finish lines and popcorn bowls.

Remember the Titans and Rocky IV is to a sports fanatic as The Notebook and P.S. I Love You is to a romantic. Complacency is to a lukewarm Christian as Loud and Proud is to a Christian on fire.  You know that feeling you get when you're watching a classic sports movie, about to reach your hand into the popcorn, and suddenly the music reaches a climax, the players score the winning point on a buzzer beater, and you get the adrenaline rush of the century?  Recently, I've been challenged in many aspects of my life.  Not only have those included testing of my physical and mental (and often times patience) limits, but the examination of my spiritual potential, as well.  There comes a time in a girls life (probably right around the age of 23 for most ;) ) when she realizes she no longer has her once-ever-present safety net surrounding her.  While her parents, family members, life experiences, the Sesame Street crew, education, Sunday school, Snapple bottle caps, FCA huddle, sports practices, marathon training, youth group, wikipedia, and friends have taught her a lot, including most things she needs to succeed- she still has to take on the challenge of being an adult flying solo.  Somehow; and I'm not really sure how after all of those year-round sport practices, tournaments, and competitions, that competitive edge that has come to be a part of my very core has decided to stick around for the waltz into adulthood (because yes, I plan on entering these years gracefully with as few blunders as possible).  And for this, I am very thankful.  I love that the second I stop setting goals and challenging myself to do more and give more and help more and learn more, a siren goes off in my head wondering where this lethargic, self-satisfied, mediocre mindset came from.  Needless to say, this has been most evident in my spiritual life.  While many people who know me well or read my blog and check my facebook page know that I am a Christian, I've just met a whole new slew of people who may not have heard me talk about it enough.  Yes, they do know I go to church and am a Christian, but is that really enough?  Will someone want what I have if I walk around like a sloth, not putting 127% into everything I do, never smile, or show any energy when it comes to my spirtiual walk?  Definitely not.  As a Christian, it's my job to start being real.  To follow in the footsteps of the Tim Tebows and the Matt Barkleys, and let my faith out of the four walls in my apartment, the four walls in the church I go to (which actually is a lot more because it's more of a stadium), and the four walls of my brain.  Don't get me wrong, it's great for someone to believe in God and follow Him. I think that's absolutely wonderful, but we're called to do so much more than that.  We're called to show our faith in our daily lives, whether that's praying in public, talking to someone about your faith, smiling and thanking the cashier at the grocery store, keeping a positive attitude, having an honest tongue, or helping the person who dropped their belongings in the parking lot.  The same feeling you get when your favorite sports team wins the Superbowl, NCAA tournament, or the World Series (although maybe less so on that one because let's be honest...baseball is a little boring) should be the same feeling you wake up with each and every day when you think about all God has done for you and the opportunities He will give you to live your faith out loud if you just ask!  The Bible compares this life we live to a "vapor".  It will be gone in the blink of an eye so, what is the most important thing you can do in this life?  What obstacles can you overcome?  How can you change the lives of those around you?  It doesn't have to be on a grand scheme like a Billy Graham or even a Tim Tebow, but it can be in the little daily things that add up over time.  A conversation here, a smile there, a Jesus Freak bumperstick here, and a helping hand elsewhere.  Your co-workers, your family, your friends should all see something different about you and that, my friends, is the rolling credits at the end of a saga.  Make it your goal each and every day to get out there, and show your faith.  You don't have to preach on the street corners (unless that's totally your thing, dude on the ISU central campus every Friday), and you don't have to go witnessing to people in bars.  You just have to be the you that God created, and live your faith out loud.  Live your faith out loud.  That's my challenge to you, and to me because let's be honest, I can't resist a good challenge or an awesome sports movie for that matter :)

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverence the race marked out for us." - Hebrews 12:1

2 comments:

  1. What a great challenge...it reminds me that my dad (your grandpa) is in that great crowd of witnesses!

    ReplyDelete