Friday, March 2, 2012

Half days and fancy ways (yes, yes this does rhyme because it's Dr. Seuss's birthday).

My number is up.  And no, that doesn't mean I'm next in line at the DMV or that my coffee concoction from Starbucks is ready.  It means that it's my turn to work a Saturday at the Well For Life Center.  It makes it easier knowing that I get to leave for the 641 right after, ISU plays that night, and I do enjoy teaching one of the two hour-long classes that are available to the employee's every Saturday (which is the reason that the foods I am consuming today are legal); however, I do miss sleeping in on the weekends that I have to work, even if I can only make it until 8:00 am these days.  It just feels so much better when my body wakes itself up instead of being jolted from the REM cycle by some lovely, pre-chosen alarm sound on my phone.  ANYWAY.  I only had to work a half day today due to the aforementioned responsibilities, which means I had plenty of time for a long run, a trip to the grocery store, a snuggly nap in my cloud (nine) of a bed, and time to try out some new recipes!  The first I have been waiting to try for an extended period of time so, I decided its number should be up.  It goes by the name of cookie dough truffles.  If you're not drooling yet (wait for the pictures below), either you don't like the sound of fancy desserts or you are not human. I must say, my first attempt went rather well seeing as I was a rookie.

Cookie Dough Truffles

Ingredients:



  • 4 tablespoons or butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • A little over 1 cup of all-purpose flour (I adapted this recipe from elsewhere so my measuring techniques weren't 100% accurate...less mathematical and more to taste and texture).
  • 1/2 of a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 12 oz. bag of semisweet chocolate chips
  • Garnishes for the top are optional so feel free to pick your flavor and put your own style into it (i.e. toffee bits, coconut flakes, mini chocolate chips (because let's be honest, there is no such thing as too much chocolate), drizzled white almond bark, etc. Be creative!)

Directions:

1.  Blend the butter and brown sugar on medium speed for about 2 minutes.  Add in the flour, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.


2.  Fold in the chocolate chips (about 1/3 of the bag), cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour or until cookie dough is firm enough to sculpt (the waiting is the tough part for a girl with little patience and a mind made for multi-tasking).

3.  Form 1 inch spheres with the chilled cookie dough and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment.  Place in the freezer for 1 more hour or until cookie dough set.


4.  Remove the cookie dough from the freezer and roll the stiff dough into smooth spheres.


5.  Melt the remainder of the chocolate chips using the microwave or a double boiler, stirring often.  Dip each of the cookie dough spheres into the melted chocolate using a spoon or a toothpick (once again, you have to master the method that works for you), shaking off excess as you go.


6.  Place each dipped sphere back onto the lined baking sheet (if you are going to garnish, now is the time to sprinkle your topping of choice onto the still warm spheres).

7.  Store in the refrigerator (or in the freezer if you want them to last longer), and serve chilled.  Enjoy :)



I adapted this recipe from here, but I thought it would be a little absurd for me to have 5 DOZEN cookie dough truffles sitting around my one bedroom apartment just calling my name.  Instead I basically halved each ingredient, and my recipe yields 2 dozen.  Get excited co-workers because I will be taking the extra's to work next Wednesday for one of the greatest holidays of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment