Monday, March 26, 2012

Pizza Pinwheels and Family Fridays.

Growing up, one of my favorite memories includes our Friday night family nights.  It was expected that we would eat dinner together (most often our pizza night) and either play games or watch a movie, but mostly it was about spending time together as a fam.  Now that I'm in the working world, I appreciate Friday nights more than I ever have before, and I often get that craving for not only pizza, but bonding with those close to me, as well.  So, a couple of Fridays ago I decided to invent Pizza Pinwheels in honor of our kick-off to the weekend.  I invited a couple of friends over, and we devoured this healthier version of pizza packed with the same flavor and a lot less grease (yes, yes I am in the health profession).

Pizza Pinwheels

You will need:
  • Pizza Dough (You can make your own, but I needed a quick fix sans yeast so I used a tube of Pillsbury Pizza Crust.)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 2 teaspoons of basil
  • 1 cup of sliced pepperoni (I used turkey pepperoni.)
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded paremesan cheese
  • Pizza or marinara sauce of your choice


Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Grease a baking sheet and set aside.
  2. Roll out the pizza dough and sprinkle garlic salt, basil, cheeses, and pepperoni evenly.
  3. Roll dough into a log-like shape.

4.  Cut into sections (the size of a pinwheel that you desire) and place on the greased baking sheet.
5.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top.  Serve with warm marinara sauce, and enjoy :)



Here's to a Friday that is just around the corner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment