Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cartwheels and Sidewalk Chalk.

If you’re anything like me, it can be easy to get lost in the receipts, bills, to-do lists, calendars, and the everyday monotony. It’s also equally easy to find yourself over analyzing and stressing yourself out over what may or may not happen in the future. No?  Just me?  Okay, well my transition into adulthood became a routine cycle of get up, go for a run, go to work, come home, make dinner, go to bed. Rinse. Repeat.  

TIME OUT.

I get that responsibilities and obligations happen.  And yes, they are necessary to survive (don't worry daddio, I am still earning a paycheck and contributing to my 401K), but you know what else is necessary in the everyday?  Having fun.  Staying sane.  Having a legitimate convo with The Big Man Upstairs. Doing things you love.  Getting active.  Taking deep breaths.  Smiling.  Soaking up some Vitamin D.  Performing a random act of kindness.  Telling someone you love them.  Choosing not to sweat the small stuff.  Drinking lots of H2O.  Remembering why you're thankful.  Reflecting.  Cranking some tunes.  Listening in the silence.  Reading.  Transforming.  Living.

Lately this has included:
Praying just to pray.  Going for long walks on silent trails with the Darbster.  Laughing until I can't breathe.  Trying to brighten just one person's day.  Living in the moment.  Dinner with friends.  Doing cartwheels just to see if I still got what I learned in Tumblebugs at the YMCA.  Memorizing verses (yes, this is also work for me).  Skateboarding in the park.  Date nights with my savior (and no, I don't have to wear makeup or dress up for these because He is my artist...and let's be honest, I've gotten really good at going au naturale).  Using sidewalk chalk.  Appreciating the everyday.  Writing birthday cards.  Eating lots of fro yo because I can.  Listening to music like my life needs a theme song.  Quality time with quality people.  Trying new recipes.  Playing cards.  Laughing at my own jokes because yes, I tend to think I'm like, seriously hilarious.  Living in the here and now.  Keeping a list of things for which I'm thankful.  Wearing neon green nail polish and my favorite Nikes.  


Life is not just a collection of rules and dirty dishes left in the sink.  God has given us a gift in each breath, and it's our job to enjoy every single one with which we are blessed.  Use them up and wear them out because this lifetime will be gone in the blink of an eye, which is pretty much okay with me (especially with the recent influx of political ads and the impending election...).

No comments:

Post a Comment