Saturday, February 16, 2013

Neon green casts and ADHD minus the HD.

And on this week's episode of Grey's Anatomy, a 23 year old firecracker goes under the knife for the addition of some new hardware.  8 neon green and pink screws and a plate later, she wakes up with a blood pressure of 162/102, a loudly beeping monitor, and nurses surrounding her bed telling her to take deep breaths from the oxygen mask while they administer some pain meds to her convulsing body.  Her first thought, "Why have those not been in my IV for about an hour and counting? Is this your first day on the job?"  Stay tuned for scenes from next week's dramatic episode where she learns to become graceful on crutches in order to avoid further injury. 

Alright.  So, my life is not that exciting right now.  It's definitely not reality-TV-worthy, but with God's sense of humor I'd say I've got a pretty good shot at reeling in a sitcom.  My life for the next six weeks will include learning to sit still and be 100% okay with it.  Actually better than okay, happy with it.  This is definitely one of the most expensive, challenging, and painful lessons I've had to learn, but with God by my side I'm ready to tackle it one...step...at...a...time...literally (my co-worker made this joke to me the other day...I did not find it as hilarious as he obviously did because he spent the next 3 minutes chuckling to himself and repeating it).  I'm still in awe on the daily at how fitting my devotions are and how perfect God's timing can be.  Here is today's passage: 

"Thank Me for the conditions that are requiring you to be still.  Do not spoil these quiet hours by wishing them away, waiting impatiently to be active again.  Some of the greatest works in My kingdom have been done from sick beds and prison cells.  Instead of resenting the limitations of the weakened body, search for My way in the midst of these very circumstances.  Limitations can be liberating when your strongest desire is living close to Me.
   Quietness and trust enhance your awareness of My Presence with you.  Do not despise these simple ways of serving Me.  Although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms.  My Strength and Power show themselves most effective in weakness."


2 Corinthians 12:10 {The Message}- "I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size - abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks.  I just let Christ take over!  And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become."
Isaiah 30:15 {The Message}- "Your salvation requires you to turn back to me and stop your silly efforts to save yourselves.  Your strength will come from settling down in complete dependence on Me- the very thing you've been unwilling to do."


Ummmm yup.  I'd say that about sums it up with a necessary slap in the face.  God knows our weaknesses and begs us to lean on Him in not only these times but the times where we feel strong, as well.  We need to stay 100% dependent on God, which is not an easy task, I know.  So, resist the urge to hit the ground running as soon as your alarm goes off.  Make a little extra time in the morning to start your day with The One who made you who you are.  Sit still and listen.  Just listen.  Ask Him to show you His ways and rid you of yourself.  And take a few deep breaths as you find your focus for the day.  I now have plenty of time to start building these habits since I will not be setting my alarm before the rooster crows to lace up my Nikes and start pounding the pavement.  Instead, this season of my life will include plenty of quietness, even more stillness, and hopefully an eternal change my priorities.  So, try your best not to get caught up in the everyday things.  The receipts, what you eat for dinner, the time spent watching TV, the bills you pay, the taxes you have to pay back (Neat.  Thanks, Obama.), the doctor appointments, the price of gas, the trips to the dentist...none of these things will matter in the long run.  Find an eternal focus, try your best to extend heavenly real estate with your words and actions each day, and get caught up in the very act of living life the way God intended you to.  Each day, each breath, each journey is a gift.  A gift designed to make us mature and complete, not lacking in anything.  And that goes back to the very root of it: "Your strength will come from settling down in complete dependence on Me." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment